Oakhouse – a real gem in the Danish South Sea, 500 m to beach
Nostalgic thatched cottage with stunning view over the islands of the Danish South Sea
- A real farmhouse like 100 years ago in a unique
breathtaking scenery -
- 80 m² high quality furnished and equipped originally restored farming house
- 2340 m² grounds and well-kept garden, south facing patio with garden furniture
- 500 m to the sand beach, ideal for swimming and fishing
- 2 bedrooms, equipped with 2 and 3 beds including high quality mattresses
- 1 bathroom with toilet, basin, shower with cold and warm water supplied from our private officially controlled well
- 1 well-equipped kitchen with dish-washer, microwave oven, cooker, toaster, electric kettle, coffee machine etc. (washing machine in annexe)
- TV, internet access, hi-fi system
- The Oakhouse is heated with an electrical radiator. In the living room offers a typical Danish wood burning fireplace, filled only with a few logs provides a comfy warmth
The Oakhouse is furnished with traditional Danish furniture in the typical country style.
Location and surrounding
The Oakhouse is situated in a sheltered position on the upper Egebjerg (Oakhill) adjoining the nature preserve on cycle-route no. 90 – 7 km from Ærøskøbing.
The cottage had been restored true to its original by architect Alan Havsteen-Mikkelsen, whose father, a well-known Danish painter, had been living in the neighbourhood. Due to the cottage's uniqueness it has been chosen as setting for a comic about the legend of Søbygård (formerly a moated castle and old manor, today a museum).
The three main cities on Ærø, besides others, are worth visiting: Ærøskøbing with the cobblestone streets and picturesque houses, Marstal with the nautical museum (Søfartsmuseum) and Søby with Denmark's most beautiful golf course in the North, which faces the seaside with at least three sides.
The maritime tradition of the island is still visible in the larger ports, where old sailors meet and watch the landing of the ferries. The whole island is covered with cycle-routes, peaceful sceneries invite to recreative walks nearly everywhere.
Along the coast fishing for trout, slab, cod etc, is possible; the beach on the bottom of the Oakhouse is to be recommended. The distance to the next bird reservation is just 2 km, to the big RAMSAR-area 10 km. Many migrant birds can be watched here during their stopover in spring and autumn.
The island offers versatile options of enjoying nature, exercise and motion.